Sunday, April 14, 2013

Today's Big News

This is a newsletter kind of thing that I wrote for anyone who has been following and/or supporting my adventures with YWAM. It should give you a pretty good idea of what I've been up to and where I'm going for the foreseeable future!

Dear Brother or Sister in Christ,

You know, that greeting sounds so generic and doesn’t communicate half of what it should. What I really mean when I say “Brother or Sister in Christ” is that you’re family, and I love you whether or not I even know you well. I mean that we’re part of something bigger, something global (cosmic even!): collectively we are God’s chosen instrument for bringing the things of his kingdom to earth. Through our prayers, our words, our actions, our thoughts, and even the seemingly insignificant decisions we make every day we are charged with bringing reconciliation, restoration, and refreshment to this conflicted, fallen, and exhausted world of ours. So when I call you my brother or sister in Christ, what I mean is that we’re in this together, and it’s far bigger than you or me – but it’s what we were made for.

As my family member in Christ and as someone who has supported me in the past (even if in the smallest of ways), I want to begin by saying thank you. The honest truth is that there is literally no way I would be where I am without your financial and moral support.  Your initial and sustained blessings of prayer, friendship, and finances have perfectly placed me to receive even more from God and pour out blessings on others as a Discipleship Training School (DTS) staff member with YWAM in New Zealand. Your support has a ripple effect; it doesn’t stay in one place but continues outward from where it began. So thank you for your generosity and obedience to God!

Right now, we have come to the end of the 12-week lecture phase of this DTS and are just beginning our outreach trip in the Philippines. So much has happened during this first 12-week period that it’s hard to describe, but what I do know is that students arrived with all sorts of questions, doubts, struggles, and fears, and now they are totally different. Some even arrived feeling quite unsure of what they thought about God, but now they are sold-out and on fire for Him. Now how exactly this happened is the hard part to explain. I gave my best attempt to sum up the process in a recent blog post: “I’d say this has been a journey of claiming truth and freedom step by step. Often, this has meant inviting the Holy Spirit into our lives, stepping out in faith, and obeying God in a way that pushes us outside our comfort zones. He challenges us to be more vulnerable, open, and free in worship, prayer, and speaking, responding to God only and not fearing what the people around us might think.” As we do this (and generally spend lots of time seeking intimacy with God), we find that we fall in love with Jesus more and more and become free and confident to serve him in radical ways. We bring a willing spirit, and He does the hard work in our hearts.
My amazing justice team! From left: Danny (staff), Nicole, Kyle, Mishelle, Edgar, Lindsay, Christie, Amber, Paul, Me, Joshua, and Jules.
What we're really like :)
As a staff member, though, there is some other hard work to do as well. It is our job to create an entire culture and environment for the DTS which will help students press in to God, honor each other, and get all they can out of this special time. It is also no easy task to disciple the students through struggles with sin, old ways of thinking, and issues of living in community. Again, my best stab at expressing what this feels like comes from a blog post: “To put it concisely, the past six weeks have been challenging, stretching, and blessed: challenging, because being responsible for the rapidly-changing spiritual lives of a bunch of young people (in addition to my own) is just plain hard; stretching, because I’m constantly confronting situations I’ve never before confronted; and blessed, because God is far better than we can imagine, because our efforts are bearing fruit in the form of transformed lives, and because there’s so much joy to be had in the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.”

Now, however, the time in beautiful New Zealand has come to an end, and we have embarked on a 7-week outreach trip. I am now in the Philippines along with my justice team of 12, the medical team of 18, and the worship team of 5. Another 20 students and staff are traveling to another group of islands, the nation of Vanuatu in the South Pacific. In Manila (the sprawling capital of the Philippines), the three teams have now come aboard the M/V Pacific Hope, a ship which our branch of YWAM, Marine Reach Ministries, has just bought. We will be working on the ship for two weeks, helping to spruce it up and get it ready for the ministry it will soon be involved in. After about two weeks, we will sail down to Mindoro Island and offload the medical and worship teams, who will be doing a medical outreach on the island. The justice team will return to Manila and continue living on the ship while we do ministry with the poor and oppressed (especially exploited or at-risk women and children) in and around the city. Near the end of May, we will return to New Zealand for a week for the DTS graduation before the students return home.

The M/V Pacific Hope in Manila Harbor
Up to that point – the end of this DTS – my life is nicely planned out for me; the question for me was always what would happen after this DTS finished. Well, here’s the big news: I’m planning to return and staff one more DTS with YWAM Marine Reach before moving on to other things. I feel certain that God has more for me here – there is SO much to learn from leading DTSs, especially on the spiritual and relational (“people skills”) side of things. This is an opportunity for me to round out the technical training I’ve had with further development in these other areas which are, to be honest, even more important. The incredible thing about DTS staffing is that it’s essentially on-the-job training. Even as I develop and build my own foundations I am helping transform people’s lives and equipping them to serve others and change the world. It’s better than going to school because the effects reach far beyond my own skills and intellect. Finally, if those reasons aren’t good enough for you there is the practical fact that we really need male staff members for July School, and I am positioned to be an even more effective leader next time, having gotten the hang of things a little bit the first time around.

Now I know what some of you are thinking: Dan’s probably just having a great time in New Zealand and doesn’t want to leave and get a real job. When’s he going to grow up and be responsible? Well, to be perfectly honest, I’ve considered the same question myself, and yet I still believe that staying on as staff is a responsible thing to do; in fact, I believe it’s what God has asked me to do. But believe me, I didn’t make the decision lightly to live another five months by faith, depending on God’s provision through others’ generosity. I mean, aren’t I pushing my luck a little to do this again? Well, no actually, because contrary to the wisdom of the world comes the old YWAM adage which has proved true time and again for decades: “Where God guides, He provides.” God doesn’t need you or anyone else to give me money (He can and has provided miraculously); however, He takes delight in loving relationships, supportive communities, and generous hearts, and He loves to use people to carry out his plans. So I do ask that you pray and consider whether God would have you give financially. And again, thank you to all who have already contributed in that way.
The entire Philippines outreach team on the Pacific Hope!
As I said, maintaining relationships is one of my highest priorities, although that is difficult to do from halfway
around the world (even with all of today’s technology). I will, however, be back in the United States from June 3rd to July 4th, and during that time I’d be happy to meet with you or chat on the phone to catch up and tell stories. In the meantime, you can always shoot me an email and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can (it may take a while in the Philippines). I am so, so thankful that I have such a loving community of people supporting me on this crazy adventure that God is taking me on. He is greater than we could ever comprehend, and I pray the blessing of our great God on you as you follow and seek after him.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all (2 Corinthians 13:14)!
Dan

Online Giving: http://mrmdts.org/online-payments (select “Donate to a Student/Staff”)

No comments:

Post a Comment